Transgender and Non-Binary Youth
- In 2021, nearly 52% of transgender and nonbinary youth seriously considered suicide.
- More than 3 in 4 transgender and nonbinary youth report symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder.
- More than 2 in 3 transgender and nonbinary youth reported symptoms of major depressive disorder in the past two weeks.
- Over 60% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported engaging in self-harm in the past 12 months.
- 46% of LGBTQ youth report they wanted psychological or emotional counseling from a mental health professional but were unable to receive it in the past 12 months.
- 10% of LGBTQ youth reported undergoing conversion therapy, with 78% reporting it occurred when they were under age 18.
- Transgender and nonbinary youth reported being subjected to conversion therapy at twice the rate of cisgender LGBQ youth.
- LGBTQ youth who were subjected to conversion therapy reported more than twice the rate of attempting suicide in the past year compared to those who were not.
- 29% of LGBTQ youth have experienced homelessness, been kicked out, or run away.
- 1 in 3 LGBTQ youth reported that they had been physically threatened or harmed in their lifetime due to their LGBTQ identity.
- 61% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported being prevented or discouraged from using a bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity.
- 86% of LGBTQ youth said that recent politics have negatively impacted their well-being.
To learn more about The Trevor Project's National Survey on LGBTQ+ Mental Health, visit https://www.thetrevorproject.org/survey-2021/?section=ResearchMethodology