Why Trans Youth Need Our Help
Many are unaware of the struggles suffered by transgender youth on a daily basis. In a world where you feel unwelcomed, unheard and unseen, just getting through each day can be extremely challenging. High levels of stress often lead to serious cases of anxiety and depression...and in some cases, even worse.
Here are a few harrowing statistics from The Trevor Project National Survey on LGBTQ+ Mental Health (2020):
- In 2020, more than 50% of transgender and nonbinary youth seriously considered suicide.
- More than 3 in 4 transgender and nonbinary youth report symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder.
- Over 60% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported engaging in self-harm in the past 12 months.
- 46% of LGBTQ youth report they wanted psychological or emotional counseling from a mental health professional but were unable to receive it in the past 12 months.
- 10% of LGBTQ youth reported undergoing conversion therapy, with 78% reporting it occurred when they were under age 18.
- 29% of LGBTQ youth have experienced homelessness, been kicked out, or run away.
- 1 in 3 LGBTQ youth reported that they had been physically threatened or harmed in their lifetime due to their LGBTQ identity.
- 61% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported being prevented or discouraged from using a bathroom that corresponds with their gender identity.
- 86% of LGBTQ youth said that recent politics have negatively impacted their well-being.